Record movies with sound.
Press the [DRIVE] button and select F[MOVIE] in the drive-mode menu.
Press the shutter button all the way down to start recording.
- A recording indicator (V) is displayed while recording is in progress.
- The time remaining is displayed while recording is in progress.
Press the button again to end recording.
Recording ends automatically when the maximum length is reached or the memory card is full.
At default settings, the [Fn1] button can also be used to start and stop movie recording (aThe Function Button). Movies can be recorded using the [Fn1] button regardless of the option selected in the drive-mode menu.
Using an External Microphone
Sound can be recorded with external microphones that connect using jacks 2.5 mm in diameter; microphones that require plug-in power cannot be used. See the microphone manual for details.
Microphones with a 2.5 mm jack can be connected using the supplied ⌀3.5 mm microphone adapter.
Use a memory card with a UHS speed class of 3 or better when recording movies.
Touch zoom is not available during movie recording.
The area recorded when [ON] is selected for B[MOVIE SETTING] > [DIGITAL IMAGE STABILIZER] is smaller than that shown in the monitor.
Sound is recorded via the built-in microphone or an optional external microphone. Do not cover the microphone during recording.
Note that the microphone may pick up lens noise and other sounds made by the camera during recording.
Vertical or horizontal streaks may appear in movies containing very bright subjects. This is normal and does not indicate a malfunction.
The indicator lamp lights while recording is in progress.
In the case of zoom lenses, zoom can be adjusted during recording using the zoom ring (if available).
Exposure compensation can be adjusted during recording, but only by a maximum of ±2 EV.
Recording may be unavailable at some settings, while in other cases settings may not apply during recording.
Adjusting Movie Settings
- Adjust movie settings in the B[MOVIE SETTING] menu.
- The movie type, frame size, and frame rate can be selected using B[MOVIE SETTING] > [MOVIE MODE].
- The AF-area mode for movie recording is selected using B[MOVIE SETTING] > [MOVIE AF MODE]; choose from [MULTI] and [AREA].
- Focus mode is selected using B[MOVIE SETTING] > F[FOCUS MODE]; for continuous focus adjustment, select [CONTINUOUS AF] or choose [SINGLE AF] and enable Intelligent Face Detection. Intelligent Face Detection is not available in manual focus mode.
Depth of Field
Manual aperture adjustment is available in shooting modes [A] and [M]; adjust aperture before recording begins. Choose low f-numbers to soften background details. The effect can be heightened by increasing the distance between your subject and the background.